The We Foundation is providing health, nutrition, education, and holistic support to the covid-affected single orphan children and their families in the Darjeeling district of West Bengal, with generous support from Capco Technologies Private Limited, a Wipro Company, and in coordination with AIIMS Delhi, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, GoI, Border Security Force, and North Bengal Medical College and Hospital, Department of Health and Family Welfare, GoWB. We are focusing on 15 children and their families in the initial phase. The money will be used to rehabilitate families and compensate them for the losses they have suffered as a result of covid. “Every child has the right to grow up in a family,” we believe. Children who have lost both parents but have a single parent must have the option of remaining with the single parent’s family or being placed in kinship care. If an orphan child is not ready to be adopted by adoptive parents or is unwilling to stay in a shelter home, he or she should be able to grow up in his or her own family and be cared for. Let us work together to help these families who are in need. They live in a harsh environment with limited food, no alternative employment opportunities, and children who are vulnerable to human trafficking. It is critical to support them. Please support us to support them.
Role of Partners:
- Capco Technologies Private Limited, a Wipro Company: Provided generous donation to implement the project
- AIIMS Delhi: Recommended and deputed a Nutritionist from AIIMS for 4 days in Darjeeling district.
- UN-WHO: Supported coordination of health and eye camps in Darjeeling district, generated awareness among families.
- West Bengal State Government- health and family welfare department- NBMC, Block Administration: Provided a list of 1400 covid-affected families in the Darjeeling district. Coordination with families and block administration.
- Border Security Force: Addressed areas of rampant child trafficking and coordinated with network. Of the 1400 families, it was easy for us to identify the most vulnerable families in the Darjeeling district.
- The We Foundation: Effective collaboration, coordination and implementation of the project in the Darjeeling district. Supported systems strengthening of the Government department and involved in family rehabilitation and children’s safety and wellbeing.
The children are malnourished. With the help of an engaged nutritionist from AIIMS Delhi, we are screening the single orphan children and providing supplementary nutrition based on nutritional needs of every children. We are also providing school education kits, books, and home tutors so that they can continue their education in school. We are organizing a general health and eye camp for all 15 families. This will allow the impacted family to seek alternate employment.
In the next phase, we want to provide alternative livelihood options for women-led families so they can make a living and live a decent existence. Mothers are homemakers with no other possibilities for earning a living. They are unaware of the social security benefits provided by the Indian government. Let us come together to assist them in every way we can.
A BIG THANK YOU TO CAPCO Technologies Private Limited, a Wipro Company, for understanding the actual needs of the community and supporting our cause.
The We Foundation is request other Corporate Donors to support covid-affected single orphan children to stay with their families, with living parent and not in Protection homes.