Capacity Building for Government School Teachers on ICT Tools in West Bengal
The novel coronavirus pandemic in India has forced to shut down education institutions temporarily as a measure to curb the spread of the virus.
With no immediate solution to stop the outbreak of COVID-19, the eco system is moving towards digitization resulting in many private schools resorting to online classes for students to ensure that learning continues.
But what about the millions of primary and upper primary teachers in Government schools who are untrained and do not have the necessary digital skills to handle the “new normal” situation.
According to the UNESCO report on May 28, around 2.7 million teachers from India who had been impacted by the pandemic are untrained to handle the changed situation.
In order to respond to new societal, economic and digital needs and strengthen the education systems, The We Foundation has approached the change-makers,
The Government Schools, Administration and collaborated with Cognizant to help create a favorable environment for digital transformation impacting the learning of underprivileged children.
Responding to the GOAL 4 of Sustainable Development Goals on building new partnerships for Digital Education and Government of India’s New Education Policy 2020,
We recognize that digital technologies have evolved as a game changer for frugally delivering online education to fill the gap created by school closures.
With the goal to promote the use of digital resources as a key learning tool in The Government school education system.
The We Foundation is the best Non-Profit NGO in Kolkata, India and has partnered with Digital partner- Cognizant to implement capacity building programme for the Government primary and secondary school teachers and non-teaching staff to equip them digitally as they are on the frontline of change.
District: Kolkata District, 7 schools in Phase-I (ONGOING, STARTED 5 SEPTEMBER 2020), another 13 schools in Phase-II
District: South 24 Parganas, 10 schools in Phase -II
- Build school teachers’ capacities by providing online digital training to at least 100 teachers in two districts of West Bengal within a year for a wide range of experiences with pedagogies offered by digital technology coupled with social and emotional learning.
- Access to virtual learning environments, integrating digital content management and electronic devices for both teachers and students by building digital labs in schools to bridge the digital learning gap.
- Facilitate teachers to develop rich digital content and motivate them to explore the usage of digital tools for quality delivery and better learning outcomes of underprivileged children.
- Encourage parents, teachers and students’ interface for creating a learning environment at home.
Training course: 6 months
Mobile Digital Mastery- 4 weeks
Computer/Laptop Digital Mastery- 4 weeks
Digital content development- 4 weeks
Communicative English- 8 weeks
Leadership development: Motivational talks, interpersonal skill enhancement etc.- 2 months
TENURE: 1 year
NO. OF BENEFICIARIES:
- School Teachers: At least 100 school teachers from 30 schools in Kolkata and South 24 Parganas district.
- School Administration: At least 30 administrative staff (one in each school)
- Students: At least 4500 Students in 30 Schools (Approx. 150/School)
- Parents/caregivers (CG): At least 4500 caregivers (Approx. 150 CG/School)
- Community people: At least 20,000 people
- More than 85% of school teachers in select schools attended the training on digital technology and received certificates upon completion of all the digital courses.
- At least 40% students attended online classes in the first six months of the project with a gradual increase by 10% in the next 4-6 months and so on.
- Better integration of online, hybrid and collaborative learning.
- Better ubiquity of social media.
- Improvement in digital competencies of school teachers and student learning outcomes
- Better access to digital device in Government schools
- Improved mental health status of teachers, children and their families
- Better scalability.